Le Moulin de Bardeas is only 4 or 5km from two villages Faye L'abbesse and Chiché. Both villages have boulangeries, well stocked minisupermarket, a pharmacy and Post Office. Chiché has a cash machine and Vets. Faye L'abbesse has a restaurant with a take away pizza service.
Within half an hour there are four historic towns with large supermarkets, shops, banks and restaurants.
- Bressuire is only twenty minutes away and is the centre of the local area, the Bocage. It has a chateau and hosts events like the Highland Games (every 2 years) and in June there is a vintage car race around the centre of the town. Discounted tickets for Puy du Fou can be bought from the Tourist Office. Market day Tuesday and Saturday.
- Parthenay is a mediaeval town with the old quarter leading down to the river Thouaret - a lovely place for a day out - take your camara. Market day Wednesday.
- Airvault is another old town with a Market and lovely historic buildings.
- Thouars is a beautiful old town with a great market on Fridays.
Between an hour and two hours there are some lovely town and cities to visit
- Potiters for historic buildings,
- Niort for its shopping ,
- La Rochelle for its historic harbour
- Chateaux of the Loire at Chinon and Samur